Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thanksgiving Prep I: Sweet Potato Crunch

By default, I'm in charge of bringing the "Orange" food to the Thanksgiving table. One dish is a tradition and is required (and I'm told that my safety is not guaranteed if I don't); the other one is one I'm going to adapt from one of my favorite dishes. First, today, I will give you the tried and true recipe. It was my grandmother's. It's actually quite simple and not exactly unique to the Creole kitchen, but as I've gone beyond the Mason Dixon line, I've passed it along to people who just love it. I really don't know why people put up with gross sweet potato recipes.

Here it is:

Sweet Potato Crunch

(in memory of Virginia Eliser)

3 cups peeled, cooked, mashed sweet potatoes or yams
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup milk (or buttermilk for a slightly different flavor)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Topping
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cups flour
2 cups pecans, finely chopped
1/2 stick butter, melted

Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla in a mixer and mix until smooth. Pour into 9"x13" greased casserole. Combine ingredients for topping and spread over potato batter. Bake in an oven preheated at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until topping has set. Serves 20.


What I really love about this recipe is that is states that it "serves 20" indicative of how big our portions have gotten over the years.

I rarely have leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. Just made me some orange food last night. I'll be trying your recipe next time. Thanks!! Happy 2010.
    SAUCY

    ReplyDelete